An advanced training program for vocal students of local universities.
Christopher Bell conducts the Apprentice Chorale at the Chicago Cultural Center
The Apprentice Chorale is an advanced training program led by Grant Park Chorus Director Christopher Bell for pre-professional vocal students throughout the Chicago metro area.
After a rigorous audition process, select students spend the summer rehearsing and performing with the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus in Festival concerts at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.
The Apprentice Chorale also perform chamber concerts with the Project Inclusion ensemble at other venues around the city, as part of the Chicago Park District's Night Out in the Parks program.
2019 Audition Information
Audition Dates: Wednesdays through Saturdays, early to mid-February 2019
Audition Location: Select schools will host auditions on their own campus. Other students will audition at the Grant Park Music Festival offices in Chicago, IL.
Program Dates: May 29 – June 15
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 12, 2019
1. Prepare the following choral excerpt(s):
- Beethoven, Missa Solemnis, "In Gloria Dei Patris" fugue; half note = 80 (All voices)
- Whitacre, Sleep, bars 14-26; quarter note = 60 (Sopranos and Altos only) To be sung with a straight tone. Sopranos sing S1; Altos sing S2.
2. Prepare two contrasting solos: oratorio excerpt, art song, or opera aria.
3. Perform sight singing exercises and vocalizations to determine best range.
4. Bring a current vocal resume and headshot to your audition and bring two copies of your solo music for the provided accompanist and for Christopher Bell.
If you have further questions, please contact Melissa Hilker at email@example.com.